Memories of Camp Cody Weblog

April 11, 2021

Camp Cody Library To Be Larger

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 12:31 am

New Books to Be Secured and More Magazines Are Subscribed

The happy cooperation between the American Library association and the Young Men’s Christian association of the camp has been most manifest the past week as one “Y” man after another has come to the library for a big box of books and bundles of periodicals for his eastern trip. Each Y. M. C. A. Man who has gone has been well supplied with books and periodicals. Thousands of books have been taken and these are to be turned over to the A. L. A. Authorities in the east and shipped to France.

Most of these books came in the great drive several months ago, but 1000 volumes were donated by chaplain Ferguson, of the 135th infantry, and hundreds came from men in the camp who wished to add their little store of books to the pile.

During the next few weeks the camp librarian will see that all Y. M. C. A. Branches are put in shape for the fall campaign. All old books will be discarded and many new and clean books will be added. It is planned to put several volumes of non-fiction in each branch books purchased for this purpose by the A. L. A.

It has been decided to supply to each Y. M. C. A. Building and the K. Of C. Hall, where the A. L. A. Maintains a branch library: Cassell’s New French Dictionary, the Literary Digest war map, Everyman’s Encyclopedia and a small atlas.

Our new librarian, Clarence W. Summer, who comes from the Sioux City public library, has been most successful in his branch work. He plans great things for our local branches. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – August 29, 1918

American Library Association – Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918

March 28, 2021

Camp Cody Officers’ Wives Decorate Minnesota Christmas Tree

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 3:55 am

The 136th infantry (Second Minnesota Infantry) is the proudest regiment in the division today over its double Christmas trees, beautifully decorated with red apples and red ball hangings, and over 3,000 men out to celebrate the event. The decorations were and the men were appreciative.

Colonel W. T. Mollison and other officers made short speeches. The band was on hand. Chaplain Major E. C. Clemens (the “padre”) saw that every man got a big red apple along with the substantial gift for mother’s son from the Red Cross. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – January 1, 1918

Colonel W. T. Mollison, Camp Cody – 1918

March 20, 2021

Camp Cody 109th Mortar Battery Has Lively Christmas Feast

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:48 pm

The 109th Mortar Battery is a very small unit, but it has a live wire lieutenant in person of 2nd Lieutenant Roy M. Sehuster, who is at present in command. He and his lively bunch, who are working like Trojans to be ready to have the kaiser a blow, were determined not to be outdone in celebrating Christmas just because “they are little.” Along with the spread at their feast, turkey and all, everything that goes with it, were a Christmas tree and a real Santa Claus, presents and fun without end.

A lot of the Deming merchants showed their good hearts to this little soldierly unit. “I gave the merchants a spiel,” said Lieutenant Schuster, “and they just opened their hearts to help the boys to little joy.” – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – January 1, 1918

Camp Cody Mess Hall, Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918

March 14, 2021

Camp Cody Soldiers Receive Goodies

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:55 am

Enlisted Men Made Happy With Gifts From The “Home Folks”

Camp Cody has been remembered in most generous fashion by the “folks at home,” as was evident to anyone passing through the camp during the week. Every company or battery was ready to advance the claim that it had been remembered more generously that its neighbors and in testimony introduced the piles of mail and express matter received by it. The fact was that all were remembered well.

Truck company No. 1 of the 109th train hauled 12 five-ton truckloads of second class mail to Camp Cody post office Wednesday, while the remainder of the week showed an increasingly heavy mail delivery.

That the men in camp remembered their relatives and friends can be proved easily and friends can be proved easily by inquiring of Deming merchants, who during the last two weeks have been doing a rushing business. The post office in camp and in Deming, the Y. M. C. A. Buildings and every other place where mail or express matter could be forwarded, have been crowded and their clerical forces compelled to do much more than their share of labor. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – January 1, 1918

U.S. Motor Truck – Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918
Camp Cody Truck No. 2 – Deming, New Mexico

March 7, 2021

Camp Cody Free of Worst Diseases

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 2:48 am

No case of pneumonia, dysentery, malaria, measles, meningitis or scarlet fever, and only ten new cases of venereal diseases, were reported from Camp Cody, near Deming, during the week, covered by the report of the surgeon general in the official bulletin, received by the New Mexico board of historical service today.

Despite the ravages if the Spanish influenza, the report for all the camps shows that the admission rate of disease, 1007, is but slightly higher than last week (960), due entirely to the higher incidence of venereal diseases. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – October 10, 1918

Camp Cody Base Hospital, Deming, New Mexico 1917-1918
Red Cross Nurses At Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918

March 1, 2021

Physical Trainer for Camp Cody, New Mexico

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:41 pm

Walter Campbell is physical trainer of Camp Cody, and during his tenure of office has made an enviable reputation as a trainer of men. He is well qualified for his position, having been for several years connected with the physical training department of the Y. M. C. A. college at Everett, Mass.

While trainer at the University of Nebraska, where he gained a nation wide reputation, he acted as coach of the freshman football team. His ability in the latter line has stood him in good stead at Camp Cody, where he has been assisting in the development of the different football teams. He has already introduced the “Swedish Exercise” at Camp Cody. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – December 4, 1917

Walter Campbel Physical Trainer
At Camp Cody, Deming, NM

February 20, 2021

Y. M. C. A. Entertains Camp Cody Base Hospital Sick

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 8:47 pm

The Y. M. C. A. Is making great efforts to furnish entertainment and religious services at the base hospital at Camp Cody and the “contact” camp near it. The latter is composed of the few soldiers who have been exposed to measles. The Y. M. C. A. Men here have been distributing magazines and reading matter at that camp and to the base hospital patients and attendants. Sunday they have Rev. Dr. H. E. Wright, of White Plains, New York, deliver his lecture to the men in the “contact” camp. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – November 27, 1917

Y. M. C. A. at Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918

February 14, 2021

Soldiers Wonder if Camp Cody in Deming is to be Permanent

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:44 am

There have been many conjectures by the troops at Camp Cody as to whether or not the camp and its surroundings will be used as a permanent training camp for United Stated soldiers, in the event that after the war universal training will have been agreed on.

The cost of Camp Cody has been in excess of two million dollars. Whether the other camps cost more or less is a matter of indifference to those interested in the local camp. This much is a know fact, however, more natural obstacles had to be overcome at Camp Cody than was the case in most of the other cantonments in the country. The water supply was one of the main obstacles, but with the problem already solved the government is not giving the slightest attention to the bill, which goes to show that Uncle Sam will have the best, regardless of cost. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – October 30, 1917

4th Nebraska And 3rd Minnesota,Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918

January 30, 2021

Camp Cody Rifle Range is Two Miles Long

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 8:44 pm

All Shots Are Toward Black Mountain

Practice firing has commenced on the new rifle range at Camp Cody and travelers and citizens are warned to avoid the danger zone in the rear of the firing battery.

The firing line is two miles in length and all the shots are directed toward Black mountain, and the public will not frequent this region if they do not desire to endanger their lives.

A man and a woman in an auto narrowly escaped several days ago when some preliminary machine gun work was being done on the range.

There are some cattle in this region, and the owners are requested to remove them at once to avoid having them killed. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – November 27, 1917

Black Mountain North Of Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico, 1917-1918

January 23, 2021

Required Some Trains To Bring Camp Cody Here

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 3:53 pm

The report of J. J. Sullivan, representative at Camp Cody of the American Railway association, states that it has required 63 passengers trains to transport the present strength of the Thirty-fourth division into Camp Cody. It was necessary to use, in addition to these trains in the movement of construction material, subsistence supplier and other property and animals which did not accompany the organization from their home stations 1,860 freight cars. – Camp Cody, Trench and Camp Newspaper – November 27, 1917

Camp Cody Warehouse And Ice Plant, Deming, New Mexico 1917-1918
Older Posts »

Create a free website or blog at