Memories of Camp Cody Weblog

October 25, 2010

General Johnson Here to Command Brigade – Camp Cody

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 3:07 pm

Brigadier General John A. Johnston, who arrived at Camp Cody Saturday night, is now in command of the 68th Infantry. General Johnston left Boston, Mass., last Thursday. Stopping in El Paso for a day or so, he was the guest of Brigadier general Robert L. Howze.

At The station to welcome General Johnston  to Camp Cody and Deming were General Frank G. Mauldin, the head of the 34th Division; Lieutenant Colonel W. H. Raymond, chief of staff of the 34th division. Major H. M. Nelly division adjutant; Mayor B. F. Hamilton, J. A. Mahoney, A. W. Pollard, and other prominent citizens.

As commander of the 68th brigade,  General Johnston is the successor of General F. E. Resche, who, a short time ago, received an honorable discharge from the service. Since the departure of General Resche for his home in Duluth, Minn, Colonel E. D. Luce has been acting commander of the brigade.

General Johnston is a West Pointer and was graduated from the United States Military Academy in the class of 1879. As a second lieutenant, he participated in Indian campaigns on the frontier. Ordered to the adjutant general’s department, he organized a new system of records and returns, and received a promotion to the grade of brigadier in 1902.

Resigning from the service, he took up the pursuits of business life for a time, but on the outbreak of the war with Germany, he returned to the army and received an appointment as a brigadier general of the national army.

He took charge of the northeastern department in September, 1917. He has been on duty since then in Boston, Mass.

General Frank G. Mauldin, who has been in command of the division since General A. P. Blocksom left Camp Cody to take charge of the department of Hawaii, continues in command. – Deming Headlight Newspaper – June 7, 1918

October 14, 2010

Deming Post Office is First Class – June 7, 1918

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 2:00 pm

Department at Washington Notifies Postmaster W. E. Foulks of Change to be Made July 1, 1918

With a volume of business from January 1917, to January 1918, amounting to over $90,000 on stamps and stamped paper alone, the Deming post office has won the right to be classed as a first class post office, and the change will go into effect on July 1st, according to instructions that Postmaster W. E. Foulks received from Washington this week.

Under ordinary circumstances a first class post office is usually housed in a building provided by the federal government, but under a recent decision of congress no new buildings will be erected until after the war, nor will any advances be made in the salaries paid to postmasters of offices of this class. This will not prevent the local office, however, from enjoying certain privileges after the first of next month that it has not been accorded in the past.

The amount of business handled here really entitles Deming to a new and larger building that it has at present, as the business has greatly outgrown the accommodations now available.

The operation of the post office here, which includes the branch office at Camp Cody, has been meeting with the approval of the examiner from the department on all occasions, and Postmaster Foulks and his staff have been highly commended by those in authority for the manner in which they handle the immense amount of work that passes through this office.

In addition to the amount derived from the sale of stamped paper, there are the departments handling money orders, postal savings, war and thrift stamps, and revenue stamps, which are not included in the total on which the department made the change, and Mr. Foulks says that each of these has shown a continual increase all during the past year. If the present rate is maintained the sales of stamped paper will run close to $125,000 for the year ending December 1918. Mr Foulks is trying to have another local carrier placed in service to assist in the mail delivery, but he has not yet succeeded in completing his arrangements in this matter. – Deming Headlight Newspaper – June 7, 1918

 

Liberty Theater and Post Office at Camp Cody - Click on photo to read more!

 

 

October 10, 2010

Y.W.C.A. Hostess House Burned – Deming, New Mexico – 1918

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 10:46 am

The Y.W.C.A. Hostess House located on West Pine street, on Sunday morning, about eight o’clock, was burned to the ground, only the porch remaining. The loss is estimated at between six and seven thousand dollars.

It is thought that the fire originated in the kitchen. The morning was windy, and the flames spread so rapidly throughout the wooden building that the firemen could not save it. W. R. Carson, acting captainof the department, let the fire fighters and the Camp Cody firemen hastened to give assistance.

Many of the furnishing of the reception hall were saved, but the kitchen and dining room furniture and a supply of groceries were destroyed.

The Hostess House was built last fall, and in its service of less that a year it has numbered many guests. In the absence of a definite announcement from those in charge, it is the general supposition that it will be replace. The loss is protected by insurance.

Deming Headlight Newspaper  – July 5, 1918

——————————————
Lieut. Theodore Kalinski, recently of Camp Jackson, South Carolina has arrived in Deming. He has been assigned to the 126th field artillery at Camp Cody.

Deming Headlight Newspaper  – July 5, 1918

October 3, 2010

Foreign Officers as Teachers at Camp Cody

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 10:22 am

Major Georges Bertrand of the French light infantry,  Captain Jaques Muntz of the French general staff, Major L. C. Eckenfelder of the French infantry, Major E. L. Makon, D. S. O., of the British general staff, and Major Benns of the British machine gun corps have arrived in Deming to instruct the staff and field officers. Deming Headlight Newspaper – July 5, 1918

Blog at WordPress.com.