Contingent of Five Hundred Recruits Makes Trip in Record Time From Des Moines.
Five hundred draft men, the last of three thousand sent to Camp Cody from Camp Dodge, Des Moines, Iowa, arrived in Deming last night and were immediately transferred to the Fifty-Ninth depot brigade for the usual period of isolation to prevent the spread of any contagious diseases.
The contingent made record time, according to a statement made here today by J. J. Sullivan, representative of the American Railway association, notwithstanding the fact that the route was a circuitous one by way of North Texas.
The draft men were in charge of First Lieut. A. P. Nachtivey and Second Lieuts. T. H. Hatten, F. C. Mulldownsey and A. C. Mulligan, of the officers’ reserve corps. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – November 5, 1917
Rev. John J. Martin of Kansas city, Mo. Is expected to arrive here Wednesday to act as chaplain for the Knights of Columbus at their building in camp. His presence is greatly needed, as the accommodations at the Catholic church in Deming are entirely inadequate for communicants from the city and Camp Cody. The little edifice on Sunday morning is packed at services, and many of the soldiers are obliged to stand out upon the sidewalks at the various entrance because they are unable to gain admission to the church. The collection next Sunday will be for the benefit of the Knights of Columbus, and will be added to the fund which is being raised to provide buildings at all the cantonments and National guard training camps throughout the country. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – October 22, 1917
Adjt. General Guy L. Logan, of Iowa, who was here several days with Gov. W. L. Harding, of that state was looking over Iowa troops and their quarter here. There was a look of pride on his face, for his state has about 10,000 troops in this camp, the largest number of the five states represented here, yet face showed a tinge of sadness.
“What do you find to do in a military way back in your state since your national guard left you?” asked a man who was watching him.
“Well,” replied the general, “it does touch a man to be parted from the men he has worked with for 25 years with only 12 days out of military service in that time, as I have, but we are organizing another national guard back in Iowa. We have five companies of infantry, two batteries of artillery, and a field hospital, and we expect to have yet a full regiment on infantry, and, “ he added, “they will be handed over to the United States service just as these were, if the country should need them”. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – December 11, 1917
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Iowa Musician’s Camp Cody Music Sunday at the Camp
“Camp Cody Blues,” is the title of a fox trot the band of the Fifth cavalry will play as the seventh number in its Sunday afternoon concert at Fort Bliss, from 3:300 to 4:45 o’clock. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – November 17-18, 1917
The soldiers of the national army in Camp Cody are some bread eaters. They consume 10,500 loaves of two pounds each, or 21,000 pounds of flour daily. Every day big trucks go out from the division bakery located alongside the Southern Pacific railroad and very close to the Y.M.C.A general headquarters, distributing the bread to all the mess halls.
This bread, all of superior quality is baked by bakery company No. 40, commanded by Lieutenant Eugene F. Hanum, and consisting of 101 soldiers transferred here from the 24th infantry and the 10th cavalry of the regular army on September 8. Of this company about 25 are highly skilled bakers. The baking is done in 14 Holbrook-Dunn patent field ovens in general use at army post. The men work in two shifts of 42 men each.
Lieutenant Hanum is quite proud of his bakery company, as to the quality of the bread turned out, and the industry and discipline of the men. The bakery camp is in every way neat, sanitary and creditable. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Tuesday, October 9, 1917