Memories of Camp Cody Weblog

January 26, 2019

Beyerstedt Puts Out a Song For Camp Cody Fighters

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 8:54 pm

Violinist is Author Of Two New Songs, One Dedicated to Camp Cody

Bert Beyerstedt, “the violinist with the punch,” who recently appeared at the Crawford theater with the Raymond Teal company, has just published two snappy songs, one of them dedicated to the soldiers at Camp Cody. The songs are published by Beyerstedt Bros., Winona, Minnesota, Bert being on of the members of the firm.

The Camp Cody song is called “The Sandstorm Division” and bears a portrait of Miss Hazel Lake of the Teal company. The words are by Frank G. Jaquet, a former member of the Teal company.

The other song is called “Just a Girl and a Boy” and bears a full length portrait of Miss Madeline Lee, prima danna of the Teal company. The words of this song are by Arline Palmer.

The words to the “Sandstorm” song which is dedicated to the men of the 34th division, which Mr. Beyerstedt gives The Herald permission to publish, are as follows:

We are boys from Minnesota,
We are boys from South Dakota,
We are boys from Iowa, Nebraska, too
Through the sand and cactus drilling,
Just one thought our minds is filling
To collect a bill that now is overdue,
You’ll be sorry, Butcher Kaiser
But you’ll be a whole lot wiser
When this sandy, hand bunch get after you.


It’s the Sandstorm division
That will put kaiser Bill over the hill
When we get over to him, we will show-
That it’s a case of fight, not blow,
So, lookout, for we are on our way
And we will make you Germans pay
And you Austrians and Turks,
We will get the whole damn works
It the good old Yankee way – It’s the way.

There will be no more Turkish harems,
No more German harem-scarems.
We will crush your “me unt Got” phrase good and well,
We will make all you Huns,
Hear the voice of our great big guns,
We will then revenge the death of nurse Cavelle
And your baby killing kaiser,
We will grind to fertilizer.
Give to him a thro’ trip ticket down to hell


In this land that is so free,
No more sauerkraut you will see.
No more linburger the air will ever stench
No more “German fries” now will we eat
Or with German laager treat,
But bury all of them down in a trench
For the Sandstorm is out to kill,
And we will get you, kaiser Bill,
We’ll join our pals, the English and the French


El Paso Herald Newspaper – Friday, August 9, 1918


Camp Cody Band – Deming, New Mexico – WW1


January 19, 2019

Camp Cody Soldiers Have Garbage Rules

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 5:27 pm

Coming Out of Mess at Camp Cody, They Drop Leavings In Cans

Hereafter when soldiers emerge from their mess halls they will find confronting them seven, different cans for the reception of any waste that may be in their mess kits.

In the first can they will put bread, next meats and fats, then come bones, then coffee grounds and such, next tin cans and lastly fruit pits and seeds, which plum, olive and date, the latter being used in the manufacture of carbon for gas masks.

All these are kept separate and carefully weighed after each meal, and nothing that has one cent value in it is allowed to go to waste.

Records Are Kept.

Careful records are kept so that at any period designated the nutrition officer is able to report to the commanding officers the exact wast of any portion of food.

Where large numbers of men are served a “director of garbage” stands with a cane and indicates into which can articles are to be dumped.

Mess kits are washed, first in hot soapy water, next in clear water and lastly in clear hot water. Sanitation, conservation, reclamation, seems to be the camp slogan. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Tuesday, October 15, 1918


A Company Kitchen – Camp Cody, New Mexico

January 12, 2019

Orders to Move 2,200 Men From Camp Cody Received

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 11:01 pm

Instructions have been received by Garnett King, chairman of the El Paso traffic committee, to give attention to the demobilization of 2,200 soldiers at Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico. Richard Warren, of the E. P. & S. W. system, has been sent there to attend to the matter.

“Each day 500 must be moved,” said Mr. King. “I hope to complete the movement by making additional equipment to the schedule.”

There are 15,000 troops at Camp Cody, and 12,800 will be there after the present movement, it was reported. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – November 23, 1918


January 5, 2019

Train Kills Men Near Camp Cody

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 6:47 pm

Auto Driver and Three Soldiers Caught on Crossing by S. P. Freight

Walter G. McClure, driver of a service car; Vern Kinnaman and Roy V. Kinnaman, brothers, soldiers in the 134th ambulance company, and Leo McGrath, soldier in the 135th ambulance company, were killed Friday evening at 6:30 o’clock, when the automobile in which they were riding from Camp Cody to Deming was struck by a Southern Pacific fruit express train at a crossing.

Richard A. Smith and Robert Carlton, two other soldiers in the auto, were injured, but will recover, it is thought.

The Kinnaman brothers’ home was at Walthill, Nebraska, and McGrath lived at St. Paul, Minnesota. The injured men were also from St. Paul.

Driver From Texas

McGrath’s neck was broken and McClure was dragged under the train to instant death. Roy Kinnaman lived only ten minutes after the accident and his brother, Vern, lived only an hour, both being taken to the base hospital quickly.

Driver McClure came to Deming from Cedar Park, Texas, a week ago. He is survived by his mother and also by two children. He had only begun to drive the service car on Friday, it was said. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – August 3, 1918


Train Kills Men Near Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico

December 29, 2018

Deming’s Camp Cody Band Leader Promoted

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 3:31 pm

Second Lieutenant Ernest L. Harris, leader of the band of the 134th infantry, has just been promoted to that rank from sergeant. He is the second band leader in this division to be commissioned under the new order. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – July 31, 1918


Camp Cody Band, Deming, New Mexico

December 23, 2018

Camp Cody Soldiers Must Keep Inside When Riding Troop Trains

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:37 pm

The 34th division headquarters has issued a memorandum regarding injury to soldiers on troop trains. The memorandum follows:

“The attention of these headquarters has been called to injuries which have been sustained by reason of soldiers riding on special trains in open vestibule doors, sitting on the platforms with their legs hanging out the side of cars, also their feet protruding out of open windows or out the side door of baggage and kitchen cars.”

“Due to the great risk of accidents and loss of life incident to such practices, officers concerned with movements of troops will issue the necessary orders that under no condition will this practice be permitted.” – El Paso Herald Newspaper – July 31, 1918


Depot at Deming, New Mexico for Camp Cody

December 17, 2018

Nine New Lieutenants Join Engineers at Camp Cody, Deming, NM

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:14 am

The 109th engineers here have received from Camp Lee, Va., nine new second lieutenants, all of whom, except the last named, are of the national army and the one excepted is of the national guard. They are 2nd Lieutenants, Stanley B. Marsh, Earl P. Manley, James L. Mayer, Milton S. Hindholm, Victor C. Light, Bert Lund, E. C. McFadden, D. J. Lynch, jr., and James Luchini. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – June 14, 1918


December 8, 2018

Base Hospital, Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 2:28 pm

“Winds, That Have Moved The Friendly Trees”

by Sergeant Glenn Ward Dresbach

Winds, that have moved the friendly trees to speak,
With lyric voices, to us when we went –
How long ago it seems – down roads to seek
New gladness and new dreams and wonderment,
When Spring comes back you will not find us there,
And will not miss us, and the grass will grow
And bluebirds sing and Earth-life thrill the air
As one glad Spring ago.

In our mid-western lands some one shall sow . . .
Sunlight and starlight and the quiet rains
Shall fall on peaceful fields that shall not know
How blood is spilled on battered hills and plains
Across the seas. Homes shall keep Liberty-
Although the olden happiness gives place
To thoughtful hopes and faith like comes to be
In each loved absent face.

The moonlight shall look in on places strange
To tears, and tears shall glisten, but the Night
Shall hold no driving foes. No better change
Of host that ravish waits the coming light,
The Light of Dawn! . . . What broken homes are these?
What hearts by strife and sorrow stricken dumb?
What pitted fields? What mangled, helpless trees? . . .
O bleeding France, we come!


December 1, 2018

Camp Cody Director for the Y. M. C. A.

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 3:41 pm

Major G. N. Randle, chief engineer of the Armour project in California, which reclaimed a big area of land at the cost of $5,000,000, an engineer in the public works department of that state, and a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, has been put at the head of the utilities branch of the quartermaster corps at Camp Cody, succeeding the acting commander Captain Henry C. Chard, who now returns to his former office as assistant camp quartermaster. Major Randle will soon have camp highways that will look good to the world.
– – – – – – – – – – – –
Charles H. Blesse has been assigned to Camp Cody from Camp Kearney, as camp physical director for the Y. M. C. A. for a time he was stationed at Honolulu where he had athletic training of the officers, who in turn trained the men under them. – Deming Graphic – Friday November 15, 1918


YMCA – Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico

November 24, 2018

General James R. Lindsay, commanding the 97th Division

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Tags: — Michael Kromeke @ 4:48 pm

E. E. Nold, an experienced and prominent business man of El Paso, for some time camp business secretary of Camp Cody, has been made acting camp general secretary, vice Cylde M. Becker resigned, now a first lieutenant in engineer corps, U. S. A.
– – – – – – – – – – – –
The Red Cross Orchestra in which several famous bands of the United States are represented, is one of the Camp Cody entertainment features most enjoyed by officers and men.
– – – – – – – – – – – –
General James R. Lindsay, commanding the 97th Division, Camp Cody, has caused to be instituted fine outdoor entertainments every week day and Sunday evening at the division stadium, and outdoor natural amphitheater where comfortable seats are provided for thousands of soldiers at one time. All welfare bodies co-operate with the military in providing the very best obtainable.

Deming Graphic – Friday November 15, 1918


« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Create a free website or blog at