The Holy Cross Sanatorium was located on part of what had been known as Camp Cody. The U.S. War Department in 1917 established a 2000-acre training camp near the town of Deming, New Mexico during World War One. The garrison of soldiers assigned t this base, called Camp Cody, was made up of National Guardsmen from Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and the Dakotas.
Official opening of Camp Deming was on December 29, 1916. The day was marked with a flag raising ceremony. The camp was renamed in honor of William “Buffalo Bill” Cody on July 20, 1917. William Cody was born February 26, 1846 and died on January 10, 1917.
The 34th Infantry Division was called the “Sunshine” Division at first, but this was in conflict with the 40th Division formed at Camp Kearney, California at the same time. So Camp Cody’s 34th became known as the “Sandstorm” Division. Base quarters were built for 36,000 soldiers and the hospital had 800 beds. Camp Cody closed on June 20, 1919.
When World War One ended, the facilities at Camp Cody were converted for use as a tuberculosis sanitarium for ex-soldiers. Later the buildings on Camp Cody were turned over to the Catholic Sisters of the Holy Cross who continued to operate the Sanatorium. In 1939 most of the other building on Camp Cody were destroyed by fire. It was also about this same time that the Sisters decided to close the Sanitarium.
From the book “Spirits Of The Border IV – The History And Mystery Of New Mexico” written by Ken Hudnall (Author) and Sharon Hudnall (Contributor)
Miss Mary Mahoney, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Mahoney, was married to Lieut. Bernard J. Carney, 109th ammunition train, at the Church of the Holy Family on Wednesday morning at 8:30 o’clock by Rev. J. M. Carnet. Following the marriage ceremony the nuptial mass was celebrated by Rev. J. Martin, chaplain of the 109th ammunition train.
The church was beautifully decorated with Americans flags and flowers and there was a bower-like effect of daisies and tulle in the sanctuary where the ceremony was performed. The bride entered the church on the arm of her father and as the wedding party came down the aisle, Miss Katherine Wamel played Mendelssohn Wedding March in a feeling and sympathetic manner. Miss Theresa Clark, a cousin of the bride, and Miss Mary Whalen of Los Angeles were the bridesmaids, and Lieut. Carney was supported by Lieut. Carlyle G. Brown of the 125th field artillery. Edwin P. Clark and John T. Keeley acted as ushers. Mrs. F. L. Roost sang Mascagni’s Ave Maria.
Following the ceremony at the church, the wedding breakfast was served at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Mahoney, after which Lieutenant and Mrs. Carney left for Los Angeles, where they will spend a brief honeymoon before returning to Deming, where they will make their home until such time as Lieutenant Carney is called abroad on service. Deming Headlight Newspaper
Church of the Holy Family - Deming, New Mexico
34th Red Bull Patch - Camp Cody
The Red Bull insignia of the 34th Division was designed by Marvin Cone of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, who drew it for a contest while with the division at Camp Cody in 1917. A steer skull imposed on the shape of a Mexican water jar (an “olla”) recalled the division’s desert home not far from the Mexican border. During World War Two, German soldiers in Italy referred to the American soldiers who wore the familiar patch as “Red Devils” or “Red Bulls.” The latter name stuck, and the division soon adopted it officially, replacing its World War One nickname of “Sandstorm Division.”