In September, 1917, Camp Pastors at Camp Cody, Rev. A. S. Davis, Presbyterian and Rev. D. D. MacQueen, Baptist, acting for the War Commissions of the two denominations, set forth the needs of a joint ministry of the churches in Deming to the service men. Many of the soldiers were Christian and desired to attend church services. There were no churches in Deming large enough to accommodate the large numbers. There was also a need for recreational facilities of a Christian nature for them. So, out of this need a plan was formulated for joint work between the Presbyterian and Baptist Churches.
With help from the War Commissions, a Tabernacle was built on lots owned by the Deming Baptist Church, located on the corner of Iron and Pine, at a cost of $6426, with the provision Church when no longer needed for the Joint effort. At the completion of the building, the Deming Baptist Church moved all of its furniture from the old church building on Copper Street to the Tabernacle. The school board rented the old building was torn down at the request of the Mayor of Deming and the material sold for $200.00.
The Tabernacle served many organizations. In 1918 the union meetings of the churches of Deming were begun. They were called “Union Peace Meetings”. At at meeting in December
1918 a collection of $103 was taken and giving to the Red Cross. The Thanksgiving offering of $25.00 was given to the Armenian Relief Fund. In January, 1920, the Rev. Charles Scoville and Associates held a Revival in The Tabernacle under the auspices of the Deming Ministerial Union; the Nazarene Church held day services of their revival in July,
1920; Ratcliffe Chautauqua came in march, 1921 Joint Vacation Bible Schools were held. Many social gatherings were held in fellowship hall.
When there was no further need for the joint services, the building was sold to the First Baptist Church for $4,000. An addition to The Tabernacle was built and the church moved into it in 1929. This building still stands on the corner of Iron and Pine, and is called today “the small auditorium. The wooden barracks-type building back of the auditorium was removed in 1975, when a addition was added and remodeling done. – The History of Luna County – Copyright 1978 by “The Luna County Historical Society, Inc” – Deming, New Mexico