Memories of Camp Cody Weblog

March 17, 2012

Camp Cody One-Third Built – Part 4 of 4

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 3:34 pm

Col. Raymond Expected

Lieut. Col. W. H. Raymond, chief of staff of the 34th army division is expected to arrive at Deming in a few days when he will become commanding officer at the camp. He will have quarters at the brigade headquarters. All military units arriving in the camp make their report to the camp commanding officer. The ranking officer here is Col. F. L. Winn, 24th infantry. Only small detachments of these have so far arrived, having come for the purpose of making preparations for the arrival of the main bodies of national guard to come later. The 24th infantry occupies the wood cantonments constructed last year, but the guardsmen who come from this time on will make army stye. The mess halls, however, will be lumber.

Stores and Booths “Squatting.”

As near as they can come to the lines of the reservation, stores and booths of every possible variety have “squatted.” The comparatively short distance that the camp lies from the city makes it certain that “Sammy” is going to hoof it. These structures consist mainly of refreshment pavilions to which have been attached names that appeal to a soldier. The favorite first names of these “hotels” and “cozy corners” and “palaces” are by the guardsmen at Camp Cody, although others have received names made famous by the war such as “The Verdun” refreshment palace, or the “Somme” smoke house. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Friday, August 24, 1917

March 10, 2012

Camp Cody One-Third Built – Part 3 of 4

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 4:28 pm

Workmen Eat For 30 Cents

If it is true that a soldier’s fighting qualities depend upon their meals it is also true that the “eats” are the backbone of that army of nail drivers. This important feature of the construction has been turned over to William M. Booth, of Dallas, commissary superintendent at Camp Cody. Each noon the swarming trucks come in from every quarter of the camp and the men of miter box and rule tumble into the four mess rooms, where the best to be had is set before them at the rate of 30 cents per meal. Eight hundred loaves of bread each day, not to mention two whole beeves and 40 pies. They have cake and even ice cream on occasion. It takes a force of 200 men to cook and serve this food. Over the big storehouse and cold storage rooms necessary to handle these provisions. H. A. Wulff presides as chief clerk.

Camp To Have 1,100 Buildings

There will be a total of 1,100 buildings in Camp Cody when it is finished and all of the tables and chairs in these must likewise be made on the premises. The buildings are all protected from flies by wire screen. All manner of additional army equipment such as portable sentry boxes, must also be fashioned. The Y. M. C. A. buildings each have an open air “movie” auditorium with benches and stages, and the mess shacks have stoves and cook ovens. Numberless lavatories cover the reservation. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Friday, August 24, 1917

March 3, 2012

Camp Cody One-Third Built – Part 2 of 4

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 3:36 pm

Most Constructors Guard Officers

The army officers upon whom the brunt of this organization has fallen are for the most part members of the quartermaster’s corps of the national guard, although Major Miller in charge of the group was a member of the engineer’s reserve corps having been transferred to the quartermaster’s department for this work on account of the engineering features involved.

Q. M. Sergeant Only “Regular.”

The constructing staff comes from every part of the country, having been selected because of expertness in the branch that was to be intrusted to its care. Captain J. A. Livingston Jr., is from Helena, Mont. Major George R. Logan Jr., is from Des Moines, Iowa, which place Captain M. E. Gillette chances to have come from. Captain Frank Barthol is from St. Paul, Minn. Quartermaster sergeant H. R. Kimball, of El Paso, is the only member of the regular army in the department.

The relation of the constructing quartermaster and the general contractor is that of superintendent and foreman. All accounts, reports and requisitions are in the hands of the quartermaster and it is to him that the contractor is accountable for progress, economy and efficiency. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Friday, August 24, 1917

Blog at WordPress.com.