Some New Structures
Other new business enterprises are the Hannah building, a big brick structure at Pine and Gold streets; the huge new Teal theater, now well under way on East Pine; the new Lyric, on Pine, and Arizona theaters on Silver Avenue; the White Cafe, the Moran cafe, the Wells garage, an elaborate business block under construction for Dr. J. A. Kinnear, on Silver Avenue, and the Burns block, at the corner of Pine and Silver; large additions to the Carson and Dines hotels, the complete remodeling of the Crystal theater and a large frame building and cafeteria to be erected by the Y.W.C.A., similar to the one at Plattsburg, New York.
Some of Camp’s Greatness
The vast tent camp at Camp Cody that will house 36,000 troops, will necessitate the erection of 300 mess halls and a total of 1100 cantonment buildings. It will require the building of 12 miles of road and 10 miles of water main. This army construction alone, now one-third completed, will require 8,000,000 feet of lumber and ten miles of wire screen.
Base Hospital Big Group
This estimate does not include the base hospital, which alone will have 68 buildings. The first detachment of the medical corps for this institution, 121 men, arrived from Spokane, Washington, recruits to be put into training at this point.
Another adjunct to the camp will be the remount station where provision must be made for 12,000 extra horses and mules and their attendants.
Abundance of the 99.99
One of the many municipal enlargements that have been necessitated by the coming of the concentration camp has been the supply of 1,440,000 gallons of water per day in addition to the normal supply. This has been accomplished by the installation of a new pumping plant and the sinking of new wells. The city water company now produces 3,500,000 gallons per day. Grant and Luna counties have cooperated in the building of 50 miles of gravel highway, and a steel bridge has been built on the Silver City – Deming highway, over the Mimbres river. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Thursday, August 23, 1917