Memories of Camp Cody Weblog

May 28, 2011

Nine “Y” Buildings At Deming Camp – July 1917

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 3:20 pm

Thirty-five Secretaries To Work With the 35,000 Soldiers – Deming, N.M.

Seven Young Men’s Christians association buildings and 35 paid secretaries will be at Camp Cody, Deming, to look after the spiritual and physical welfare of the 35,000 men to be quartered in the camp, on which construction has been begun by Major Charles H. Miller, now on the ground.

Captain Charles F. Sharp, his assistant, has arrived from Washington, D. C., bringing his wife with him. Camp quartermaster C. M. Murphy has also established his headquarters, together with C. A. Hilton, expert accountant and newspaperman. Lieutenant Raymond B. McLaws, commander of the base hospital; Captain and Mrs Homer N. Preston,  Lieutenant Raymond B. McLaws,  Lieutenant F. I. Nufang are on the ground in charge of the Y. M. C. A. forces

W. J. Holmes is the labor commissioner rounding up the necessary labor to build the cantonment, preference being given to Deming labor and Deming material.

Captain James Reagan declares that the cantonment will be larger and more substantial than at first planned and more land will be given by December for the purpose. Engineer Owen Hughes and construction foreman G. H. Pottride have arrived from Dallas, Texas. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Tuesday, July 31, 1917

May 21, 2011

More Officers Arrive at Camp Cody – September 28, 1918

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 4:31 pm

Today brought ten captains and 76 first and second lieutenants to Camp Cody for the new 97th division and a medical detachment of 25 non-commissioned officers and 150 enliste4d men, the officers coming very largely from Camp Perry, Ohio, a small arms training school for officers.

Captain Brown brought the enlisted men from Fort Riley, Kansas, Sergt. D. H. Biron had charge of the men when Captain Brown left for his home station.

Lieutenant S. Wenger, who was with the officers, came from Camp Dix, where he had just returned from a four months’ service overseas. According to Lieutenant C. R. Marshall, who was one of General Allen’s staff in the 67the brigade, there will be about 30 former Cody officers in the 97th division. Division officers are coming very rapidly now. – El Paso Herald Newspaper

May 14, 2011

Numbers of Regiments In 97th Division Given by Col. Martin’s Staff

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 5:07 pm

Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico – The 97th Division Headquarters,  Col. C. A. Martin, acting commander announces that the 97th division will be composed of the following organizations:

97th Headquarters Troop.
364th Divisional Machine Gun Battalion.
194th Infantry Brigade – 387th and 888th Infantry Regiments and 366th Machine Gun Battalion
322nd Engineer Regiment.
322nd Engineer Train.
322nd Field Signal Battalion.
322nd Train Headquarters and Military Police.
322nd Supply Train.
322nd Sanitary Train.
385th, 386th, 387th and 388th Ambulance Companies.

El Paso Herald Newspaper – September 28, 1918

May 7, 2011

Cody Has Had 2800 “FLU” Cases and Only 88 Deaths

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 4:31 am

Camp Cody, Deming, New Mexico – The flu status at Camp Cody is as follows:

Total number of admissions to base hospital, 2800; pneumonia cases developed, 480; deaths, 88; discharged as cured, about 1000. A majority of the fatalities were men who were ill when they arrived at camp. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – November 6, 1918

Camp Cody Regimental Hospital

Blog at WordPress.com.