Memories of Camp Cody Weblog

November 26, 2012

General Mauldin to Hooverize Camp Cody

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 1:52 am

Brigadier General Frank G. Mauldin commander of the Sandstorm Division, is again calling attention to the necessity of economy in the use of  foods in this training camp, and will see to it that it is thoroughly Hooverized. Every effort will be made to reduce the wastage of food to a minimum. Conservation of foodstuffs is of the utmost importance now, and he has impressed on the various commanders again the fact that no pains are to be spared in conforming to the orders issued previously on the subject. Major O. A. McGee, division inspector, will be on the lookout constantly to observe if General Mauldin’s instructions are being carried out. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Saturday, November 17, 1917

November 17, 2012

General Blocksom Takes Command

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 3:54 pm

General Mauldin Resumes Charge of 59th Artillery Brigade At Camp Cody

Major General A. P. Blocksom, who returned Sunday night after over two months’ absence from his command of the 34th division here, was at his post in division headquarters all day going over matters with Brigadier General F. G. Mauldin, who, as the ranking officer, has been in command of the camp.

Lieutenant Colonel W. H. Raymond, chief of staff, was also at this post. Major S. J. Sutherland, assistant chief of staff, had been acting in this capacity during the colonel’s absence.

General Blocksom said that he and General Mauldin would make a tour of the camp. The latter goes back to his command, the 59th Field Artillery Brigade.

The Deming chamber of commerce is preparing to give a banquet in honor of General Blocksom, Friday night. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Tuesday, December 11, 1917

November 10, 2012

First Troops Reach Camp Cody at Deming , NM

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 3:50 pm

Seven Hundred Nebraska Troops Arrive Sunday

The first detachment of state troops to reach Camp Cody at Deming arrived Sunday, consisting of 700 men of the Nebraska national guard. These, it is believed, will be followed very quickly by other troops intended for the Deming camp, to comprise the 34 th division of the new army.

No Visitors Permitted.

No visitors will be allowed in Camp Cody, the site of the mobilization and training of the national guard from Iowa, North and South Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska, except in the camp of the 24 th infantry according to an order published by construction quartermaster Major Charles H. Miller. Photographs can not be taken without written permission from the proper army officer.

Passes have been furnished to civilian employes, and employes or enlisted men will not be allowed to show quests around the camp. This order is to be effective at least while construction is going on.

Willie F. Harris, company E, 24 th infantry, was the first man to die in Camp Cody. He had been ill several months. The body was sent to Lexington, South Carolina.

Post Office Plans Approved

Postmaster W. E. Foulks’s plans for the military post office at Camp Cody, 40 by 105 feet in dimensions have been approved and three clerks from New Orleans and seven from Dallas are coming.

Construction is in progress on about 250 camp buildings. There are about 2000 men employed. Roads through the camp are being graveled.

Payroll Will Be $1,500,000

W. P. Musuas, divisional auditor, and J. Henry Wood, field auditor, are on duty here. Lieut. Foster, camp disbursing officer, has requisitioned $1,500,000 for the August payroll.

George H. Lothridge, construction superintendent at the camp, underwent an operation for appendicitis at the camp hospital.

Captain Marshall F. Sharp, assistant construction quartermaster, has been called to Washington. Captain J. A. Livingston, of Montana, takes the place.

Hospital Doctors Arrive.

Captain Thomas C. Brooks and Lieutenants Llewellyn Leebetter, Ernest H. Hamilton and Little B. Neal, medical reserve doctors, are here for service in the base hospital as soon as it is finished. Major Logan of Nebraska will assist Major Miller in construction.  Lieutenant Col. H. L. Laugach, camp inspector, gave his approval of the work in progress on a visit here from San Antonio.

Jolly and Morris, of El Paso, expect to have Raymond Teal’s theater completed in three weeks at the corner of Pine and Diamond Streets. The building will be 70 by 140 feet with a raised floor capable of seating 2,000 persons. The main auditorium will be 60 by 90 feet, without a post. The stage will be 30 by 70 and 40 feet high. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Monday, August 20, 1917

November 3, 2012

Fire At Camp Cody Commissary

Filed under: Camp Cody Deming — Michael Kromeke @ 5:12 pm

Fire broke out shortly after noon today at in the sales commissary building No. 9 at Camp Cody, in which are located the camp quartermaster’s office and those of his large staff, the railroad offices and the  subsistence commissary. The supplies were almost totally destroyed either by water or fire. The cause of the fire is not definitely known, although it was generally believed that an overheated oil stove was responsible. All the office furniture and records were carried out of the building by the soldiers. The roof was badly damaged, but the interior was practically untouched by the flames, except in the storeroom.

Three Soldiers Injured.

During the progress of the fire three soldiers were removed to the base hospital, two of whom were suffering from minor injuries sustained while fighting the flames and the other was overcome by smoke. The Deming fire department and the volunteer force at Camp Cody responded promptly and the  was soon under control, but it was made evident it will be necessary to organize a regular fire department at camp, which will have regular drills and devote its entire time to the study of fire protection there, where the buildings are all of frame construction. – El Paso Herald Newspaper – Saturday October 20, 1917

Blog at WordPress.com.